Has a painful bone or joint problem put your life and activities on hold? Have you been sidelined from a favorite sport or pastime? If so, our orthopaedic specialists can help return you to your active pursuits.
At Truman Medical Centers/University Health, we treat a wide range of musculoskeletal problems. Whether you have arthritic knees, back or neck pain, or a sports injury, our team can help.
Our orthopaedic team
When you're looking for an orthopaedic doctor, you want someone who is highly skilled and has a history of getting great results. That's just what you'll get with our team.
As leaders in orthopaedic care, we are known for our excellent clinical outcomes and widely recognized for our expertise.
Every member of our highly qualified staff has the skills and experience necessary to help you heal. Many of our board-certified doctors have additional training and certifications in such areas as orthopaedic trauma, sports medicine, hand surgery and spine disorders. This allows us to offer you highly specialized and comprehensive orthopaedic care.
At Lakewood Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center, our team includes a highly skilled physical medicine specialist. This doctor is a specialist in nonsurgical pain management and works collaboratively with the orthopaedic and sports medicine teams to assess and manage new patients toward best outcomes. So you can feel confident that we will look at the least invasive ways to help you with your problem.
Our approach to orthopaedic care
We get to know our patients. We want to find out how your joint or muscle problem is affecting your life. This will help us create a care plan that meets your unique needs. You know your body best. So you will help decide what's best for you.
We don't rush into surgery. We want you to get better, but there are many ways besides surgery to help you do that. That's why we will explore nonsurgical options first and then tailor a solution to your specific situation.
If surgery is the best choice, we have some of the best orthopaedic surgeons in the Kansas City area. And we can offer you the latest treatment options. Many of our procedures use minimally invasive techniques. This allows for less pain and a faster recovery.
Our team can diagnose and treat virtually any disease or injury of the bones and joints.
And we can offer a wide range of treatments (including nonsurgical options) that help restore or preserve your function so that you can continue to participate in many activities pain-free.
Here are some of the orthopaedic services we offer:
- Nonsurgical treatments, such as injections, regenerative medicine (such as platelet-rich plasma), and referrals to physical or occupational therapy.
- Joint replacement surgery. Our experts replace hips, knee, shoulders, elbows and other joints. Learn more about our joint replacement services, which have earned elite recognition from The Joint Commission.
- Shoulder, knee and ankle arthroscopy. Our doctors diagnose and treat many joint problems through very small incisions.
- Knee repairs, including ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) reconstruction, and cartilage repair and regeneration.
- Shoulder and elbow surgery, including rotator cuff repairs.
- Foot and ankle surgery. We treat problems such as foot and ankle trauma, fractures and arthritis.
- Treatment of hand and wrist problems, such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Treatment of spine disorders and back pain. We can address problems with the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine.
- Hip preservation surgery. The goal of this surgery is to ease hip pain and prevent or delay arthritis that may result in a future hip replacement.
- Treatment for orthopaedic cancers. Our surgeons at University Health Orthopaedics treat cancers, including osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma, chordoma and soft-tissue sarcomas.
- Trauma and fracture care. At University Health Orthopaedics, we treat traumatic injuries from car crashes and other accidents, including complex arm and leg injuries, joint fractures and dislocations, and pelvic and shoulder injuries.
- Convenient diagnostic imaging for bone and joint problems. An MRI scanner is available at the Lakewood Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center.
Our sports medicine expertise
Whether you're a weekend warrior or a competitive athlete, our sports medicine team can help you stay in the game. We treat all sports injuries—from torn ACLs to concussions. And we offer services to improve safety and athletic performance.
We're proud to be the official healthcare providers for all of the University of Missouri - Kansas City (UMKC) athletics teams.
Our sports medicine specialists includes orthopaedic surgeons, who can repair damaged tendons, ligaments and joints. At Lakewood Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center, we also have primary care-based sports medicine doctors. These doctors provide a wide range of nonsurgical sports medicine services for young athletes, with a focus on overall wellness and performance.
For example, the team can offer you or your young athlete:
- Help creating a safe exercise plan to up your game and avoid injuries.
- Sports physicals to help ensure that athletes are ready for a healthy start to the season.
Schedule an appointment with one of our orthopaedic or sports medicine specialists
We offer orthopaedic and sports medicine services at the following locations:
- Lakewood Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center. Our 8,000-square-foot center opened in 2019 at the main entrance to Truman Medical Center Lakewood in eastern Jackson County. For an appointment, call 816.404.7200.
- University Health Orthopaedics. We are in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri, right off the highway and near other medical clinics you may need. For an appointment, call 816.404.0072.