If you need an expert in face, mouth or jaw surgery, you have access to some of the best, right here in Kansas City, Missouri.
The oral & maxillofacial surgery clinic at Truman Medical Centers/University Health is home to highly qualified surgeons. Whether you need a tooth extraction, dental implants, birth defect surgery or facial reconstruction, we can help.
Our highly specialized and experienced oral and maxillofacial surgeons
What makes us a great choice for oral and maxillofacial surgery? For starters, it's our vast experience. We do more operations than any other oral surgery practice in the state. That’s expertise you can trust.
Our oral and maxillofacial surgeons are highly skilled. Some of us are University of Missouri - Kansas City Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency program faculty. As well-respected experts, we train the next generation of doctors, conduct research and author medical textbooks. We lecture nationally and internationally. Our research efforts have contributed to innovations in oral and maxillofacial care.
Our surgeons also have access to state-of-the-art equipment like full-cranial, 3D x-ray technology. These highly accurate images allow us to provide you with superior diagnostics and treatment planning.
Perhaps most importantly, we're also compassionate and dedicated to putting you, our patient, first. Before your procedure, we will take the time to answer your questions. And we will be there during your healing process. We believe it is our responsibility to get the best possible surgical outcome for you.
What we offer at the oral & maxillofacial surgery clinic
The procedures our team performs can help restore people's lives by improving their appearance, helping them eat and speak normally, or helping them live without pain.
Here are some of the services we offer:
- Cleft lip and palate repair, including surgeries for older children.
- Cosmetic procedures, including Botox, face and neck lifts, wrinkle fillers and scar treatments.
- Correction of jaw deformities. For instance, our surgeons can shorten or lengthen the upper or lower jaw to correct an underbite or a protruding jaw.
- Dental implants. We offer both permanent and removable implants. In some cases, we can do same-day implants. If the full process can't be completed in one day, we can give you a temporary prosthesis so you don't have to leave the clinic with missing teeth.
- Denture preparation. When dentures are the best solution, we can help get the mouth ready. For instance, we can perform surgery to fix bony ridges that interfere with denture placement.
- Facial trauma surgery. We fix broken jaws and repair other facial bones that have been fractured due to accidents or blunt-force trauma.
- Mouth disease or injury care. We diagnose and treat diseases of the lips, tongue, cheek and gums, and salivary glands, including infections, cysts and tumors. We treat injuries, including broken teeth and injuries to the cheeks or gums.
- Oral cancer care. Our team has the expertise to diagnose oral cancer and provide the highest quality oral cancer surgery. Early detection saves lives. Please see your healthcare provider as soon as possible if you notice a suspicious area in your mouth, such as a non-healing sore.
- TMJ treatments. We are experts in temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders. TMJ treatments can help relieve pain associated with chewing, clicking or popping of the jaw, swelling of the face, headaches, and teeth grinding.
- Tooth extractions. Our surgeons extract teeth, including hard-to-remove impacted wisdom teeth and wisdom teeth that have cysts or tumors around them.
We know that comfort is important when you're having oral surgery. That's why we offer a full range of anesthesia options, including local anesthesia, conscious sedation, nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and general anesthesia (you'll be asleep). And you can rest assured knowing that our staff is highly trained in giving you the safest, most effective sedation.
While many procedures can be performed in the office, outpatient surgical suites are conveniently located just one floor above our clinic. More advanced oral and maxillofacial surgeries are performed in the main operating rooms at Truman Medical Center Health Sciences District.
Make an appointment with an oral surgeon
To schedule an appointment, please call 816.404.0500.
Note: We do not provide general dentistry services. If you wish to schedule a regular dental visit, we suggest the dental department at Truman Medical Center Lakewood.