Welcome to the gastroenterology (GI) department at Truman Medical Centers/University Health. We are committed to helping you resolve any problems you are having with your digestive system.
Using state-of-the-art equipment, our gastroenterologists provide a wide array of inpatient and outpatient services. Because they are also on the faculty of University of Missouri - Kansas City, our GI doctors keep up with the most recent research in the field. You can rest assured knowing that your doctor is teaching the next generation of GI specialists.
Services and procedures
Services and procedures we offer include:
- Endoscopic ultrasound, a minimally invasive test that provides images of the digestive tract and surrounding organs.
- Capsule endoscopy, in which you swallow a small, wireless camera to take pictures as it travels through the digestive system.
- Colonoscopy, the gold standard in diagnosis and treatment of colorectal cancer.
- Anorectal manometry, a test to measure how well your rectum and anal sphincter are working.
- Esophageal manometry, which measures the function of muscles in the esophagus.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy, a test that lets your doctor look inside your lower colon and rectum.
- Hydrogen breath testing, a noninvasive test that looks for several GI problems.
- Liver biopsy, in which samples of your liver are taken to look for cancer and other diseases.
- Paracentesis, a procedure that samples fluid in your abdomen for testing.
- 24-hour pH testing, which evaluates acid reflux.
A focus on hepatitis C
Our hepatologist works closely with pharmacists, GI nurse practitioners and the rest of the GI team to diagnose and treat hepatitis C. This multidisciplinary approach is one reason our team's success rate is exceptionally high.
Learn more about our gastroenterology services
A doctor's referral is required for all GI services.
For more information or to make an appointment at Truman Medical Center Lakewood's Digestive Disease Center, please call 816.404.7679.
For more information or to make an appointment at Truman Medical Center Health Sciences District's GI Services Center, please call 816.404.3995.