Truman Medical Center (TMC) Behavioral Health offers psychotherapy to help you develop coping strategies and build stronger life skills in a safe and supportive environment.
Why choose Truman Medical Centers/University Health for counseling services
We are a team of highly skilled psychologists, social workers and counselors. We use research-supported therapies for different behavioral health conditions. We can help you find the therapy that will work the best for you.
Often, people feel disempowered or stuck before they come to see us. Talking with a skilled therapist can open your eyes to new possibilities as you work toward your personal goals.
We are here to help you get unstuck so that you can live your best life.
Our counseling services
We offer counseling services to children and adults, usually on an outpatient basis. Our services include family counseling and individual and group therapy
We also offer inpatient counseling services along with other treatments. For instance, counseling is one of the ways we help people safely get through a mental health crisis in our 24-hour psychiatric inpatient unit.
What to expect during counseling
When you go to therapy, we will help you find solutions to problems and identify your strengths.
The counseling will be tailored to you. For instance, we can help you, your child or partner:
- Work through problems, thoughts, behaviors and emotions.
- Find new and better ways of coping with stress.
- Establish good habits and healthy behavior boundaries.
- Work through differences and improve loving relationships.
- Overcome past trauma and build a stronger support system.
Whatever the counseling plan, we'll work to guide you toward reaching your goals and moving forward with life after therapy.
How to get counseling
- Stop by our Healing Canvas building, 300 W. 19th Terrace in Kansas City, Missouri. Walk-in care is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 2 pm. A master's-level mental health professional will meet with you and help you get the care you need. Or for more information, call 816.404.5709 Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
- Schedule an appointment at Lakewood Counseling, 300 SE 2nd Street in Lee's Summit. Call 816.404.6170 Monday through Friday.
- Call the 24-hour crisis hotline. If you are currently experiencing any kind of mental health crisis, please call 888.279.8188 now. A crisis expert will answer your call and direct you to the right care.