Communication is one of the most important keys to the road of recovery.
It is vitally important for a patient to communicate his or her
needsas well as their concernsto the health care medical team.
But language barriers are one of the top reasons many people,
particularly those for whom
English is not their first language, do not receive regular medical
TMC is helping to break down that
obstacle with its Language Access Services program, which provides
accurate, complete, impartial interpretation to both the Limited
English Proficient patients and the provider.
The department provides on-site services in three major language groups: Spanish, Somali and Arabic. Staff interpreters are screened and qualified upon hire and then
engaged in more than 180 hours of classroom and clinical training.
Nearly 82,000 language
interpretation services were provided in Fiscal Year 2011.
- 24-hour staff coverage in three primary languages (Spanish,
Somali and Arabic)
- 150 different languages available via dual handset
telephonic interpreting units
- Availability and coordination of agency interpreters for American
Sign Language and other foreign languages
- Two dedicated Spanish interpreters located in the Center of
Excellence in Women's Health Care at Hospital Hill
- Continuous cultural education and training with staff, students in the
health professions, and residents
For additional information, please contact Language
816-404-3280 Hospital Hill